Monday 19 March 2012

Review: A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

I loved this book, it is a great young adults novel that I immensely enjoyed, the book jumps and mixes different cultures such as India and England and is other worldly by mixing with a faerie world.  Gemma  doesn't belong in any of them, and she recognises that, she is the outsider trying to find her place. 


I didn't like the other main characters because I felt that the protagonist, Gemma, was treading on thin ice by being friends with them. I liked Gemma although she can be selfish, angry, and petty, cut her some slack she's only sixteen-years-old. The friendship between Gemma and the other three girls is based on a desire for freedom - I don't think the girls were ever meant to appear as best friends.

The story had a terrific flow and had enough suspense to keep me guessing - it's also a easy read. The visits to the faerie realm were amazing to read - a pure dream for the characters but not without a dark edge. Bray is able to not fall for every cliche when inserting her romantic parts, but followed the similar love plot of a dangerous and mysterious boy that is intriguing, making this book a even bigger success.


No comments:

Post a Comment