Sunday 1 April 2012

Review: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

I read Inkheart a few years ago and didn't think much of it but I decided to re-read it again and I still don't think much of it. It was a nice story, about a girl [Meggie] who's father repairs books and who's mother disappeared nine years ago. After a mysterious visitor shows up at their house, Meggie finds out that her father has a secret, he can read characters out of books. Nine years ago he was reading aloud and read a terrible villian out of the book and at the same time read Meggie's mother into the book. A rule: if something is read out then into this world then something must be given back in replacement.  In the story Meggie and her father try to defeat the villian and  get her mother back. 


I thought it was a wonderful idea, really creative and new but it wasn't particularly well accomplished. What really irked me was the lack of character development, I didn't feel like I really knew the characters. For such a long novel I would of expected a fantastic description of everything but sadly most of it is left to the imagination. I honestly felt like the novel dragged. It needed to move more quickly and have more action. It had a fantastic ending that left me wanting to read the next one but I am not looking forward to another excruciating long novel that is extremely slow paced.

No comments:

Post a Comment